Tuesday 8 April 2008

Rice Dish

This is one of my all time favourite recipes; it's my default in the absence of any other inspiration. I can start cooking this and have it on the table in 30 minutes, so it’s a favourite when I’m tired. Originally from The Tightwad Gazette, I've tweaked it by adding more vegetables.

Ingredients:
2 cups boiling water
1 cup rice
Stock cubes

2 cups vegetables, diced
1 med-large onion

2 TBS oil

Requires skillet with a fitted lid
Makes 2 main servings or 4 side servings

  • Boil kettle and mix 2 stock cubes (any flavour) with 2 cups water.
  • Dice the onion and put in skillet with oil, stir occasionally while browning.
  • Collect 2 cups of diced or frozen vegetables, whatever you have on hand; aim for a pleasant mix of 2 or 3 colours.
  • Add 1 cup rice to browned onion and stir to coat with oil.
  • Add stock liquid and vegetables and bring to a full boil.
  • Reduce heat to minimum, put on lid and leave for about 20 minutes.
  • If you want meat in this dish, put 3-6 oz. diced beef, pork or chicken in oil and brown before adding onion and choose complimentary stock flavouring; this may require more oil (I never do this as the stock gives plenty of flavour without meat, though I did add a can of kidney beans once and it was great).
  • You can experiment with herbs and spices as well but, again, it isn't necessary.

No comments: