Friday 15 February 2008

Books

I cannot imagine life without books; I've been a reader all my life. Some of my earliest memories are seeing my parents reading (often with the radio or TV on in the background whereas I prefer silence). I never have enough bookshelves. My favourite rooms in the grand houses I've toured are nearly always the libraries.

My local library now has online access, great for renewing loans about to be overdue! It also keeps track of the books borrowed in the past year. I've often wished for this information, sometimes to retrieve a special book but also just to have an overview of what has been going into my brain. Everyone believes the books a person chooses tells a lot about them which is why we display our books and take pride in the large number or their intellectual quality.

My library book list mainly shows that I'd rather read than do anything useful and it's even worse considering I frequently re-read most of the books I own. This list also indicates my recent interests in subjects and authors. I've grouped them by fiction and non-fiction, but otherwise they appear more or less in the order they were borrowed.


Knitting: 20 simple & stylish wearables for beginners – Ham, Catherine
Ragwork Reakes, Lizzie
Last-minute Knitted Gifts – Hoverson, Joelle
Your Money or Your Life – Hall, Alvin D
Converting to an Eco-friendly Home – Hymers, Paul
How to Cook Everything – Bittman, Mark
The Energy Efficient Home – Waterfield, Patrick
Thrifty Ways for Modern Days – Lewis, Martin
Your Taxes & Savings – Lewis, Paul
Wild Blackberry Cobbler & Other Old Fashioned Recipes – Stewart, Katie
Every Second Counts – Armstrong, Lance
Castle – Morris, Marc
The Bicycle Book – Weidenfeld & Nicolson
Allotment Book – Cleveland, AM
The Half-hour Allotment – Leendertz, Lia
Vegetables for Small Gardens – Brown, Lynda
The Freelance Writer’s Handbook – Crofts, Andrew
Life Stripped Bare – Hickman, Leo
Practical Allotment Gardening – Foley, Caroline
Women’s Institute Complete Christmas – Cook, Sian
Find a Fortune – Spicer, Lorne

Hit List, Burglars Can’t be Choosers, A Dance at the Slaughterhouse and All the Flowers are Dying - Block, Lawrence
Weep for Me – MacDonald, John D
The Lollipop Shoes - Harris, Joanne
The Clerkenwell Tales – Ackroyd, Peter
Bad Men and The White Road – Connolly, John
Saving Fish from Drowning – Tan, Amy
The American Boy, The Suffocating Night, and A Stain on the Silence - Taylor, Andrew
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies, Morality for Beautiful Girls and The Kalahari Typing School for Men - McCall Smith, Alexander



No comments: